Canonical Voices

Posts tagged with 'uds'

Michael Hall

Quick overview post today, because it’s late and I don’t have anything particular to talk about today.

First of all, the next vUDS was announced today, we’re a bit late in starting it off but we wanted to have another one early enough to still be useful to the Trusty release cycle.  Read the linked mailinglist post for details about where to find the schedule and how to propose sessions.

I pushed another update to the API website today that does a better job balancing the 2-column view of namespaces and fixes the sub-nav text to match the WordPress side of things. This was the first deployment in a while to go off without a problem, thanks to  having a new staging environment created last time.  I’m hoping my deployment problems on this are now far behind me.

I took a task during my weekly Core Apps update call to look more into the Terminal app’s problem with enter and backspace keys, so I may be pinging some of you in the coming week about it to get some help.  You have been warned.

Finally, I decided a few weeks ago to spread out my after-hours community a activity beyond Ubuntu, and I’ve settled on the Debian new maintainers Django website as somewhere I can easily start.  I’ve got a git repo where I’m starting writing the first unit tests for that website, and as part of that I’m also working on Debian packaging for the Python model-mommy library which we use extensively in Ubuntu’s Django website. I’m having to learn (or learn more) Debian packaging, Git workflows and Debian’s processes and community, all of which are going to be good for me, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Read more
Michael Hall

It’s official, UDS 13.05 is coming up next month, marking our second online Ubuntu Developer Summit, and coming only two months after the last one. While going virtual was part of our transition to make Ubuntu’s development more open and inclusive, the other side of that coin was to start holding them more often. The first we put into affect in March, and the second is coming in May. Read below for information about this UDS, and changes that have been made in response to feedback from the last one.

Scheduling

The dates for UDS 13.05 are May 14, 15 and 16, from 1400 UTC to 2000 UTC.  We will once again have 5 tracks: App Development, Community, Client, Server & Cloud and Foundations.  The track leads for these will be:

  • App Development: Alan Pope, David Planella & Michael Hall
  • Community: Daniel Holbach, Nick Skaggs & Jono Bacon
  • Client: Jason Warner & Sebastien Bacher
  • Server & Cloud: Dave Walker & Antonio Rosales
  • Foundations: Steve Langasek

Track leads will be in charge of approving Blueprints and getting them on the schedule.  If you are going to be responsible for running a session, please get with the track lead to make sure they have marked you as being required for that session. If you would like to get a session added for this UDS, you can do so either through registering a Blueprint or proposing a meeting through Summit itself.  Both approaches will require the approval of a Track Lead, so make sure you discuss it with them ahead of time.

Changes to…

Using feedback from attendees of the March UDS, we will be implementing a number of changes for UDS 13.05 to improve the experience.

Hangouts

Google+ Hangouts have a limit of 15 active participants (if started with a Canonical user account, it’s 10 if you don’t have a Google Apps domain), but in practice we rarely had that many people join in the last UDS.  This time around we’re going to encourage more people to join the video, especially community participants, so please check your webcams and microphones ahead of time to be ready.  If you want to join, just ask one of the session leaders on IRC for the hangout URL. We are also investigating ways to embed the IRC conversations in the Hangout window, to make it easier for those on the video to keep track of the conversation happening there.

The Plenaries

Most people agreed that the mid-day plenaries didn’t work as well online as they do in person.  There was also a desire to have a mid-day break to allow people to eat, stretch, or hold a sidebar conversation with somebody.  So we are replacing the mid-day plenaries with a “lunch” slot, giving you an hour break to do whatever you need to do. We will be keeping the introductory plenary on the morning of the first day, because that helps set the tone, goals and information needed for the rest of the week.  In addition to that, we have added back a closing plenary at the end of the last day, where track leads will be able to give a summary of the discussions and decisions made.

The Schedule

In addition to the above plenary changes, we have added an extra day to this UDS, making it 3 days instead of two.  The last day will allow for overflow of sessions that couldn’t fit into 2 days, or the scheduling of follow-up session when it is determined they are necessary following a discussion earlier in the week.

Registration

Registration to attend will now be done in Summit itself, rather than through a Launchpad Sprint.  So if you’re not a track lead, and you’re not registering Blueprints, there’s nothing you need to do on Launchpad itself.  This will help those who do not have a Launchpad profile, though you will still need an Ubuntu SSO account to log in.

To register for UDS 13.04, go to the summit page, and just above the schedule you will see an orange “Register in Summit” button.  If you don’t see that, you either need to log in to  summit or you’ve already registered.

Summit Scheduler

Chris Johnston and Adnane Belmadiaf have been working hard to improve the Summit Scheduler website, taking feedback from attendees to improve the interface and workflow of the site.  We will include as many enhancements as possible before the start of UDS 13.05.  If you are interested in helping improve it, and you have some web development skills, please find them on #ubuntu-website on Freenode to find out how you can get involved.

Read more
Michael Hall

Shortly after the Ubuntu App Showdown earlier this year, Didier Roche and Michael Terry kicked off a series of discussions about a ground-up re-write of Quickly.  Not only would this fix many of the complications app developers experienced during the Showdown competition, but it would also make it easier to write tools around Quickly itself.

Unfortunately, neither Didier nor Michael were going to have much time this cycle to work on the reboot.  We had a UDS session to discuss the initiative, but we were going to need community contributions in order to get it done.

JFDI

I was very excited about the prospects of a Quickly reboot, but knowing that the current maintainers weren’t going to have time to work on it was a bit of a concern.  So much so, that during my 9+ hour flight from Orlando to Copenhagen, I decided to have a go at it myself. Between the flight, a layover in Frankfurt without wifi, and a few late nights in the Bella Sky hotel, I had the start of something promising enough to present during the UDS session.  I was pleased that both Didier and Michael liked my approach, and gave me some very good feedback on where to take it next.  Add another 9+ hour flight home, and I had a foundation on which a reboot can begin.

Where is stands now

My code branch is now a part of the Quickly project on Launchpad, you can grab a copy of it by running bzr branch lp:quickly/reboot.  The code currently provides some basic command-line functionality (including shell completion), as well as base classes for Templates, Projects and Commands.  I’ve begun porting the ubuntu-application template, reusing the current project_root files, but built on the new foundation.  Currently only the ‘create’ and ‘run’ commands have been converted to the new object-oriented command class.

I also have examples showing how this new approach will allow template authors to easily sub-class Templates and Commands, by starting both a port of the ubuntu-cli template, and also creating an ubuntu-git-application template that uses git instead of bzr.

What comes next

This is only the very beginning of the reboot process, and there is still a massive amount of work to be done.  For starters, the whole thing needs to be converted from Python 2 to Python 3, which should be relatively easy except for one area that does some import trickery (to keep Templates as python modules, without having to install them to PYTHON_PATH).  The Command class also needs to gain argument parameters, so they can be easily introspected to see what arguments they can take on the command line.  And the whole thing needs to gain a structured meta-data output mechanism so that non-Python application can still query it for information about available templates, a project’s commands and their arguments.

Where you come in

As I said at the beginning of the post, this reboot can only succeed if it has community contributions.  The groundwork has been laid, but there’s a lot more work to be done than I can do myself.  Our 13.04 goal is to have all of the existing functionality and templates (with the exception of the Flash template) ported to the reboot.  I can use help with the inner-working of Quickly core, but I absolutely need help porting the existing templates.

The new Template and Command classes make this much easier (in my opinion, anyway), so it will mostly be a matter of copy/paste/tweak from the old commands to the new ones. In many cases, it will make sense to sub-class and re-use parts of one Template or Command in another, further reducing the amount of work.

Getting started

If you are interested in helping with this effort, or if you simply want to take the current work for a spin, the first thing you should do is grab the code (bzr branch lp:quickly/reboot).  You can call the quickly binary by running ./bin/quickly from within the project’s root.

Some things you can try are:

./bin/quickly create ubuntu-application /tmp/foo

This will create a new python-gtk project called ‘foo’ in /tmp/foo.  You can then call:

./bin/quickly -p /tmp/foo run

This will run the applicaiton.  Note that you can use -p /path/to/project to make the command run against a specific project, without having to actually be in that directory.  If you are in that directory, you won’t need to use -p (but you will need to give the full path to the new quickly binary).

If you are interested in the templates, they are in ./data/templates/, each folder name corresponds to a template name.  The code will look for a class called Template in the base python namespace for the template (in ubuntu-application/__init__.py for example), which must be a subclass of the BaseTemplate class.  You don’t have to define the class there, but you do need to import it there.  Commands are added to the Template class definition, they can take arguments at the time you define them (see code for examples), and their .run() method will be called when invoked from the command line.  Unlike Templates, Commands can be defined anywhere, with any name, as long as they subclass BaseCommand and are attached to a template.

Read more
Michael Hall

My big focus during the week of UDS will be on improving our Application Developer story, tools and services.  Ubuntu 12.04 is already an excellent platform for app developers, now we need to work on spreading awareness of what we offer and polishing any rough edges we find.  Below are the list of sessions I’ll be leading or participating in that focus on these tasks.

And if you’re curious about what else I’ll be up to, my full schedule for the week can be found here: http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/participant/mhall119/

Read more
Michael Hall

The Ubuntu Florida LoCo Team is my home team, and this cycle I will once again be meeting up with Chris Johnston to participate in the Ubuntu Global Jam.  Since Chris is the one organizing this event again, I asked him a few questions about it.

Tell me about yourself and how you are involved in Ubuntu

My name is Chris Johnston. I got involved in Ubuntu about 3 years ago. I started by attending a Florida LoCo Team event at Michael Hall’s house. I got involved with the Ubuntu Beginners Team, the Classroom Team, and the BugSquad. I was one of the original planners of Ubuntu User Days and I got involved in developing for what is now the LoCo Team Portal. After attending my first UDS I saw a need and started coding on the Summit Scheduler. Now days I spend most of my time developing on Summit or the LoCo Team Portal.

Have you organized a Global Jam event before, and if so what was your experience? How did you choose a venue and select activities?

I organized a Global Jam event last cycle. We ended up with only 3 people participating, but we had a productive day hacking on summit.ubuntu.com and even got a new developer involved.

What kinds of activities do you plan of doing as part of your upcoming jam?

During this Global Jam, we will again be working on some of the community supported websites, including Summit and the LoCo Team Portal.

How do you spread the word about your event to get more people to participate?

Through the LoCo Team Portal and talking to people about it.

 

Now it’s time for you all to share your stories about past and future Global Jam events!

Read more
Michael Hall

My year in review

You never know where you’re going to end up in 12 months.  This time last year I was writing down resolutions for myself about things I wanted to accomplish at my job over the course of 2011.  I accomplished almost none of them.  In fact, I wouldn’t even be working at the same place a scant 4 months later.

I’m not one to publicly list what was on my resolutions list, but I will tell you what wasn’t on it:

  • Get hired by the company that makes the most popular (and my favorite) Linux Desktop
  • Work from home, every day, with people all over the globe
  • Fly to Budapest, Hungary for a week
  • Hang out and work with a couple hundred of the smartest, coolest people I know

And I most certainly didn’t have:

  • Transition from a web developer to a very public, community facing role

To say that 2011 has been an exciting year for me would be an understatement in the extreme.  And yet 2012 promises to be even more exciting, as I transition from a heads-down software developer to a far more public and people facing role as the Upstream Liason for Canonical and Ubuntu.  I’ve spent the last month subscribing to upstream mailing lists, IRC channels and blog feeds, so I can keep track of what is going on in the Ubuntu and upstream communities.  I’m really looking forward to having an increased focus on the community side of Ubuntu, the new types of challenges I will face, and the people I will meet and get to know over the course of the next year.

Read more
Michael Hall

It’s late, I’m tired, so this is going to be brief.  But if I didn’t put something up now, chances are I’d procrastinate to the point where it didn’t matter anymore, so something is better than nothing.

JuJu

So the buzz all week was about Juju and Charms.  It’s a very cool technology that I think is really going to highlight the potential of cloud computing.  Until now I always had people comparing the cloud to virtual machines, telling me they already automate deploying VMs, but with Juju you don’t think about machines anymore, virtual of otherwise.  It’s all about services, which is really what you want, a service that is doing something for you.  You don’t need to care where, or on what, or in combination with some other thing, Juju handles all that automatically.  It’s really neat, and I’m looking forward to using it more.

Summit

Summit worked this week.  In fact, this is the first time in my memory where there wasn’t a problem with the code during UDS.  And that’s not because we left it alone either.  IS actually moved the entire site to a new server the day before UDS started.  We landed several fixes during the week to fix minor inconveniences experienced by IS or the admins.  And that’s not even taking into consideration all the last-minute features that were added by our Linaro developers the week prior.  But through it all, Summit kept working.  That, more than anything else, is testament to the work the Summit developers put in over the last cycle to improve the code quality and development processes, and I am very, very proud that.  But we’re not taking a break this cycle.  In fact, we had two separate sessions this week about ways to improve the user experience, and will be joined by some professional designers to help us towards that goal.

Ubuntu One eBook syncing

So what started off as an casual question to Stuart Langridge turned into a full blown session about how to sync ebook data using Ubuntu One.  We brainstormed several options of what we can sync, including reading position, bookmarks, highlights and notes, as well as ways to sync them in an application agnostic manner.  I missed the session on the upcoming Ubuntu One Database (U1DB), but we settled on that being the ideal way of handling this project, and that this project was an ideal test case for the U1DB.  For reasons I still can’t explain, I volunteered to develop this functionality, at some point during the next cycle.  It’s certainly going to be a learning experience.

Friends

Friends!  It sure was good to catch up with all of you.  Both friends from far-away lands, and those closer to home.  Even though we chat on IRC almost constantly, there’s still nothing quite like being face to face.  I greatly enjoyed working in the same room with the Canonical ISD team, which has some of the smartest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with.  It was also wonderful to catch up with all my friends from the community.  I don’t know of any other product or project that brings people together the way Ubuntu does, and I’m amazed and overjoyed that I get to be a part of it.

Read more
Michael Hall

If you’ve been doing anything with Ubuntu lately, chances are you’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about Juju.  If you’re attending UDS, then there’s also a good chance that you’ve been to one or more sessions about Juju.  But do you know it?

The building blocks for Juju are it’s “charms”, which detail exactly how to deploy and configure services in the Cloud.  Writing charms is how you harness the awesome power of Juju.  Tomorrow (Friday) there will be a 2 hour session all about writing charms, everything from what they do and how they work, to helping you get started writing your own.  Questions will be answers, minds will be inspired, things will be made, so don’t miss out.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-p/meeting/19875/juju-charm-school/

(Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/slightlynorth/3977607387/)

Read more
Michael Hall

Are you both an Ubuntu user and a bibliophile?  Want to keep your ebooks synced between all your connected devices, including bookmarks and reading position?   If so, join us for this UDS session Thursday, Nov 3rd, where we’ll be talking about how to add that functionality to Ubuntu One.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-p/meeting/19820/other-p-u1-book-sync/

Read more
Michael Hall

We’re less than a month away from the start of UDS-P, which means we’re winding down the development pace on the Summit project. It’s been a very, very busy 6 months for us, we’ve done more work on Summit this cycle than I think it has ever seen before.  As I mentioned in previous posts, our main focus this cycle has been on stabilizing both the code, and the development process, and I think we’ve done an excellent job of meeting those goals.

During this cycle we have developed an easy to reproduce development environment that allows new contributors to get started hacking on Summit much faster than the could previously.  At the same time we’ve implemented stricter code reviews, requiring accompanying test cases in most instances, and have configured Tarmac to help us keep approved branches landing without delay.  We have also handed the task of maintaining our production environment and production deployments to Canonical’s IS team so that Summit will be managed by the same professional team as any other Ubuntu website.  We have also added 3 new contributors during this cycle, and hope to add more even more in the next.

From the end of UDS-O to the time of this writing, the Summit developers have closed 37 bugs, landed 89 merge proposals, and added 118 test cases (which is 118 more than we had before).  I can’t even begin to say how proud I am of the team of developers that have contributed to this project, and the amazing results that we have achieved in so short a time.  It is even more incredible because this is truly a community project, we all contribute to it in our spare time.  So thank you to everybody who has contributed to the success of the Summit project this cycle.

Below is the full list of bugs, branch merges and test cases from this cycle.

Bugs

.Bugs TD { spacing: 0px; padding: 2px; border: #000000 1px solid; border-collapse: collapse; } .Bugs .Critical { background-color: #FFDDDD; } .Bugs .High { background-color: #FFFFDD; } .Bugs .Medium { background-color: #DDFFDD; } .Bugs .Low { background-color: #EEEEEE; } .Bugs .Wishlist { background-color: #DDDDFF; }
Bug # Title Priority
855826 session slugs containing + have broken etherpad links Critical
854709 URL encoding Launchpad links breaks them Critical
849078 Stop displaying the track name in the room name when there is a single track Medium
781693 Rooms: Add boolean for if a room has dial-in Medium
793018 Pull the summary from the launchpad blueprint and push it out via the iCal to Guidebook High
779833 Automatically clear cache when the data it contains changes Critical
853991 Plus sign in meeting name breaks url lookup Critical
815196 meeting import failed for lp update High
777171 Percent signs in the wiki field break summit Critical
766392 Pull Real Names from LP for use as “crew” Wishlist
765031 Support for private rooms and private meetings in those rooms Wishlist
793019 Make the colors for the track a database field instead of in the css High
647131 Don’t depend on a room being declared “plenary” Critical
849331 Needs to send no-cache headers when requesting +temp-meeting-export High
780342 Logging in next= is broken again Medium
835955 Sanitize input! Undecided
779884 autoscheduler should never schedule sessions at times in the past Critical
831311 Internal error when trying to delete a duplicate sponsoree High
814375 meeting link breaks on non-unique or missing meeting name Critical
813531 logo should point to http://uds.ubuntu.com/ High
829529 Summit barfs if lp id doesn’t exist and you submit it for sponsorship. High
793021 Add a today link to the topnav Medium
798826 Name fields throw confusing error Low
781137 Need more space between QR code and Day/Room name Low
781117 Change /today to be /xx/today Low
780969 Enable 404 page instead of showing a debug Low
779769 Remove ‘Attendees’ from meeting page if it is a plenary Low
783291 Brainstorm should be removed from summit Medium
668542 Don’t reschedule events/days that have already happened Critical
790675 Stop screen scraping launchpad for information. Use the API instead. High
782062 When importing from Launchpad, the blueprint name should be cleaned before being used High
665589 Importing blueprints unreliable High
798822 initslots doesn’t give feedback when done Low
793020 Match uds.ubuntu.com and summit.ubuntu.com main-nav Medium
783030 Change room.name to room.title on the next sessions page Low
783029 Add link to meeting page in iCal Wishlist
664879 “previous day” and “next day” links on schedule would be nice Low

 

Branch Merges

193: Michael Hall 2011-10-02 [merge] [r=james-w] Optimizations to reduce the number of database queries on the summit and schedule pages.
192: James Westby 2011-09-22 [merge] [r=mhall119] Apply the same transform as etherpad to meeting names when generating pad urls.
191: Michael Hall 2011-09-22 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow linaro tracks to be scheduled in adjacent slots in the same room.
190: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Don’t escape URLs before putting them in the HTML.
189: Michael Hall 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=james-w] Change user_private_ical to use Schedule.from_request, add test case for private ical.
188: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow + in track, room and attendee names without causing url lookup errors.
187: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Fix the 500 error pages to not crash when displayed.
186: Michael Hall 2011-09-19 [merge] [r=james-w] Exclude attendee secret key from the API
185: James Westby 2011-09-19 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow “+” in a meeting name without crashing on the url lookup.
184: James Westby 2011-09-17 [merge] Make it a single query, rather than doing a few queries per meeting.
183: Michael Hall 2011-09-18 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Fixes problem with old cache on track view schedule
182: James Westby 2011-09-18 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add some tests for constructing a Schedule object.
181: Nigel Babu 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Initial run at pep8 and pyflakes complaints fixing.
180: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds read-only REST/JSON API to the schedule data
179: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds the ability to download or subscribe to an ical containing your public *and* private meetings
178: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w,nigelbabu] Fix tests that were looking for a hard-coded SITE_ROOT in urls
177: Jamal Fanaian 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Updating the description of a meeting from the LP blueprint.
176: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] The autoscheduler will now reliably not require someone to be in two places at once.
175: Michael Hall 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] In unit tests, specify that all Meeting instances are requires_dial_in=False unless explicitly testing that functionality.
174: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add fields on rooms and meetings for dial-in.
173: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Remove the code to display the track in the room title if there is only one.
172: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add tests for the reschedule command, and make it do something again.
171: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Fix a javascript error when a meeting has no participants.
170: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Revert r50 which was a band-aid to fix a bug that can no longer be reproduced.
169: James Westby 2011-09-15 [merge] Fix percent sign escaping in render.py
168: James Westby 2011-09-15 [merge] Add support for using multiple Launchpad sprints to populate a single Summit, which will allow separate UDS and Linaro Connect sprints
167: Michael Hall 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds test cases to make sure % signs are being properly escaped in render.py
166: James Westby 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=mhall119] Update the location of the linaro theme branch.
165: James Westby 2011-09-13 [merge] Add headers to avoid caches on the +temp-meeting-export fetch.
164: Michael Hall 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=james-w] Fix to allow periods in records names
163: James Westby 2011-09-13 [merge] Stops the auto-scheduler from acting on private meetings.
162: Chris Johnston 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=james-w] Updates linaro link to match uds.u.c
161: Michael Hall 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Fixes 2 typos in the get_edit_link_to_pad method
160: Michael Hall 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=james-w] Fix for the PrivateSchedulingTestCase
159: Michael Hall 2011-09-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Adds a new TestCase for building tests of the schedule conflict resolution.
158: Michael Hall 2011-09-11 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston] Adds a new ‘color’ field to the Track record, this contains a 6-char hex color code that will be used as the background for meeting blocks on the schedule.
157: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston] Check that at least one plenary room exists before trying to use 156: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 Add back in what was lost on rebase
155: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 Add back in what was lost on rebase
154: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds ability for schedulers to schedule private rooms.
153: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds private rooms to edit page
152: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds display of private rooms on UDS page for staff
151: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds def private_rooms
150: Jamal Fanaian 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=mhall119] Created a method to get an attendee’s full name. Showing crew
149: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=mhall119] Removes stray }
148: Michael Hall 2011-08-27 [merge] More XSS fixes
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-27 [merge] Fix XSS vulnerability
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-22 [merge] Check with launchpad to see if an entered username is valid on sponsorship suggestion form
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-22 [merge] Fix errors when converting sponsorship scores to unicode strings
146: Chris Johnston 2011-08-22 [merge] [r=nigelbabu,mhall119] Updates the version of light-django-theme and fixes bzr apps after an update.
145: Chris Johnston 2011-08-22 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Moves admin link to masthead due to wrapping in main-nav
144: Chris Johnston 2011-08-19 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Changes Linaro link to match uds.u.c
143: Chris Johnston 2011-08-14 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] This will set debug to true when running locally.
142: Chris Johnston 2011-08-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Switches summit to using bzr_apps by running init-summit.
141: Chris Johnston 2011-08-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Adds a link to the page for editing an etherpad
140: Chris Johnston 2011-08-01 [merge] Adds today link to main-nav
140: Michael Hall 2011-07-22 [merge] Adds the meeting id to the meeting_page_url, and uses only that as the lookup parameter
parameter
139: Nigel Babu 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=mhall119] Reset the theme of the documentation to default.
138: Chris Johnston 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][] Remove translation tags, summit is not translated.
137: Nigel Babu 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=][] Create a docs so that it shows up in rtfd.org
136: Chris Johnston 2011-07-25 [merge] [r=mhall119][] Removes old migrations and adds new initial migration
137: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 [merge] Adds 960px style to all pages except the wide schedule
134: Chris Johnston 2011-07-20 [merge] Fixes lpupdate. Props mhall119
134: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 Make sure we don’t have periods in meeting names when trying to form the meeting page url
133: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 [merge] point logo link to http://uds.ubuntu.com
133: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 If meeting has no name, we can’t form a proper URL for it, fallback to returning no URL
132: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][] Adds update-openids script to summit to fix usernames.
131: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][765031] Adds private room as an option for a room status.
130: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][793020] Modifies links to match uds.ubuntu.com
129: Michael Hall 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][781117] Changes /today url to /summit_name/today
128: Chris Johnston 2011-07-18 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston][] Fixes a minor spelling issue in fields.py
127: Chris Johnston 2011-07-18 [merge] [r=][] Updates required version of south
126: Chris Johnston 2011-07-11 [merge] [r=][] Fixes minor spelling error
125: Chris Johnston 2011-06-26 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][chrisjohnston][798822] Adds a print statement to provide feedback
124: Chris Johnston 2011-06-17 [merge] [r=mhall119][chrisjohnston][798826] Displays information in the name field error message more clearly.
123: Maris Fogels 2011-06-17 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][mars][] Added a tests.py module and an in-memory sqlite database for running the test suite.
122: Nigel Babu 2011-06-12 [merge] [r=james-w][nigelbabu][782062] Remove the ‘.’ from the name of the meeting and replace it with ‘-’
121: Nigel Babu 2011-06-10 [merge] [r=james-w][nigelbabu][790675] Stop the screen scape and use the json API instead.
120: Nigel Babu 2011-06-11 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston,james-w][nigelbabu][783291] Removed the brainstorm code out of
119: Penelope Stowe 2011-06-11 [merge] [r=james-w,nigelbabu][Penelope Stowe] try-catching the launchpad requests with 5
118: Nigel Babu 2011-06-09 [merge] Removes Attendees list from the meeting page if the session is a plenary. Props Nigel Babu
117: Nigel Babu 2011-06-09 [merge] Adds spacing around the QR code to avoid overlap. Props Nigel Babu
116: Nigel Babu 2011-05-22 [merge] Fix authschedule to not modify anything in the past
115: Chris Johnston 2011-05-22 [merge] Add prev/next day links to schedule view
114: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 [merge] Add full path to meeting page in the ical feed
113: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 Fix errors in template, add settings option to have django serve media files even when DEBUG=False
112: Chris Johnston 2011-05-22 [merge] Disable debug mode and give better error messages
111: Nigel Babu 2011-05-22 [merge] Fixes to reschedule command
110: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 [merge] Updated setup.py and requirements.txt to match current production environment

 

Tests

test_sponsorship_display
test_nonlaunchpad_display
test_suggest_valid_username
test_suggest_invalid_username
test_sponsorship_review_display
test_sponsorship_about_paras_filtering
test_sponsorship_about_urlize_filtering
test_sponsorship_xss_escaping
test_sponsorshipsuggestion_review_display
test_sponsorshipsuggestion_xss_escaping
test_passing_nonexistant_summit_raises_error
test_meetings_can_not_be_scheduled_in_closed_slots
test_participants_are_in_another_meeting
test_check_schedule_errors_on_no_dial_in
test_check_schedule_errors_on_same_track_in_previous_slot
test_check_schedule_errors_on_same_track_in_next_slot
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_different_track
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_same_track_for_plenaries
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_same_track_for_ajdacent_sessions_allowed
test_try_schedule_into_refuses_room_without_dial_in
test_try_schedule_into_allows_room_with_dial_in
test_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_set
test_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_unset
test_link_to_pad_with_plus_in_meeting_name
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_set
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_unset
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_plus_in_meeting_name
test_ical_meeting_without_name
test_ical_meeting_name_with_period
test_private_ical
test_meeting_page_url
test_meeting_name_with_period
test_room_name_with_period
test_track_name_with_period
test_participant_name_with_period
test_meeting_name_with_percent
test_meeting_name_with_plus_sign
test_room_name_with_percent
test_room_name_with_plus_sign
test_track_name_with_percent
test_track_name_with_plus_sign
test_participant_name_with_percent
test_participant_name_with_plus_sign
test_etherpad_edit_url
test_meeting_check_schedule_no_conflict
test_meeting_check_room_conflict
test_meeting_check_schedule_participant_conflict
test_private_meeting_schedule
test_no_available_public_room
test_no_available_private_room
test_required_participant_in_private_meeting
test_percent_in_meeting_name
test_percent_in_meeting_title
test_percent_in_meeting_description
test_percent_in_spec_url
test_percent_in_wiki_url
test_percent_in_room_title
test_percent_in_meeting_track_title
test_percent_in_meeting_track_slug
test_percent_in_attendee_username
test_cache_cleared_on_meeting_change
test_cache_cleared_on_agenda_change
test_track_cache_cleared_on_meeting_change
test_track_cache_cleared_on_agenda_change
test_default_read_only
test_editable
test_read_only_for_public_summit
test_read_only_for_non_edit_request
test_read_only_for_unauthenticated_user
test_read_only_for_user_without_permission
test_default_not_personal
test_personal_if_specified_in_get
test_date_set_from_date
test_date_parsed_from_string
test_dates_set_from_summit_if_not_passed
test_room_set_from_room
test_room_set_from_summit_if_not_passed
test_rooms_include_private_if_user_is_staff
test_rooms_include_private_if_show_private
test_track_is_none_by_default
test_track_set_from_track
test_nextonly_false_by_default
test_nextonly_set_from_get_parameters
test_fakenow_none_by_default
test_fakenow_set_from_get_parameters
test_fakenow_set_to_none_if_invalid
test_calculate_unscheduled_does_nothing_when_read_only
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_unscheduled
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_scheduled_meetings
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_meetings_in_tracks_not_in_this_room
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_without_a_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_all_meetings_in_room_without_a_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_of_the_right_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_with_one_right_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_plenaries_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_talks_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_specials_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_shows_plenaries_in_the_plenary_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_non_plenaries_in_the_plenary_room_view
test_update_meeting_skips_no_name
test_update_meeting_trims_name
test_update_meeting_accepts_existing_meeting
test_update_from_launchpad_response_empty
test_update_from_launchpad_response_handles_no_name
test_launchpad_sprint_import_urls_uses_default
test_launchpad_sprint_import_url_uses_one_summit_sprint
test_launchpad_sprint_import_url_uses_two_summit_sprint
test_update_from_launchpad_gets_info_for_all_import_urls
test_update_from_launchpad_does_the_update
test_update_from_launchpad_deletes_unseen_meetings
test_update_from_launchpad_doesnt_delete_meetings_with_no_spec_url
test_update_from_launchpad_updates_last_update
test_reschedule_does_nothing_on_empty_schedule
test_reschedule_removes_missing_participants
test_reschedule_removes_unavailable_participants
test_reschedule_removes_insufficient_slots
test_reschedule_leaves_old_slots
test_reschedule_leaves_manually_scheduled

Read more
Michael Hall

Summit is the code that runs the session scheduler for the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) and, as of last cycle, the Linaro Summit as well.  Summit has had a rather troubled past, being passed from one maintainer to another, evolving organically as it went.  But during UDS-N, it started gaining a team of community contributors, specifically Chris Johnston and I.  This expanded further for UDS-O, when Nigel Babu took the helm as the project manager.  We were also joined by Linaro developers who wanted to make Summit support two simultaneous events, using the same schedule, the same rooms and the same attendees.

Many changes were made in the run-up to UDS-O, and by “run-up” I mean all the way up to the first day of sessions.  Unfortunately, nowhere along Summit’s organic growth did it gain the proper test suite and deployment processes that are a necessity for a project of this size.  In fact, one of the bugs that was discovered during UDS-O was a script running on the server that wasn’t even part of Summit’s revision control tree!

Well this part of Summit’s history is coming to an end.  After UDS-O, the community developers started to plan out how to stabilize Summit, both it’s code base by adding testing, and also the deployment process by strictly managing how new code gets into production.

 

Bug Fixes

The bug fixing started early this cycle.  Nigel was submitting merge proposals by the end of the week of UDS-O, and Chris and I were pair-programming on the flight from JFK back to Orlando.  So far there have been 30 branch merges into the summit tree and fixes for 20 bug reports.  Nigel gives the full list over at his blog.

 

Setup and Development

Summit can now be easily setup for development using Virtualenv, which makes getting started with development significantly easier.  LoCo Directory recently gained a script that fully automated the setup of a development environment, and this will soon be coming to the Summit code.  At the time I’m writing this post, Jorge Castro has even begun work on an Ensemble formula, that will make deploying a fully configured instance of Summit on Amazon’s EC2 platform a matter of a few simple commands.

Making development setup easier lowers the barrier to new contributors, and we hope this will encourage more community members to get involved in such a fun and important project.  Making sure we’re all using the same development environment, and having it easily replicated for others to develop and test, will help improve the accessibility and stability of our code.

 

Testing

During UDS-O we got some help setting up and writing the very first testing code for Summit.  From now on, writing test cases for new features or bug fixes will become a normal part of our development process.  We recently held an online classroom session about how to write test code for Summit (and LoCo Directory too).  There is still a lot of Summit code that needs tests written for it, but we’re going to cover as much of that as we can while continuing to move forward with development.  More than any other change this cycle, I’m excited about the huge improvements to stability that we can gain through aggressively testing our code.

 

Branch based deployments

Summit has always used branch-based deployments, that is our production server has a copy of our bzr tree that it runs from, instead of a package that gets installed.  Unfortunately, up until last week the only branch we really had was trunk, which made it harder to properly track emergency fixes when we already had revisions committed to trunk that weren’t ready to be deployed.  To fix this we’ve split off a production branch, which is the only branch we will deploy from, and will always have a copy of the exact code that is running in production.

We will also, for the short term, have two branches for development.  The 1.x branch is our “stable” tree, that’s where we will make any changes that will be ready to deploy in the coming days or weeks.  This means that we can use our trunk branch for long-term development, where we can perform some much-needed refactoring and code cleanup, without worrying about blocking deployments while these changes settle into place.  There are some major and necessary changes coming to parts of the Summit code, and this development setup will let us start landing those quickly so that we can test them and build off them, without destabilizing the currently used code tree or blocking minor fixes from being deployed.

 

Ubuntu Website integration

If you visit the Summit website today, you’ll already see some of our recent changes.  To better integrate with the WordPress instance running uds.ubuntu.com, we have changed our main navigation and 960px width to match. Once the WordPress theme updates are rolled out, both sites will have the new community top navigation bar too.  No longer will it feel like you’re being thrown from one site to another without a means of getting back.  This should lead to a less confusing user experience for both sites, and much happier UDS attendees all around.

 

Read more
Michael Hall

This past weekend was Ubuntu Global Jam, where Ubuntu users and contributors all over the world get together to work on improving the project.  Jams come in many forms, code hacking, bug triaging, translating, documenting, or even just promoting Ubuntu in their community.  In my own corner of the Ubuntu community, a few of us got to together to work on improving the Summit project

This is the code behind http://summit.ubuntu.com, which provides the UDS scheduler and sponsorship application forms.  Summit is a Django application, released under the AGPLv3 license, and is primarily developed by community members.  Joining me were Chris Johnston,  a frequent community contributor who I’ve also worked with in LoCo Directory and other projects, and Elliot Murphy, my 3rd-level boss as Canonical (no pressure there!).

Here’s a list of what we managed to accomplish:

Switch to the new ubuntu-community-webthemes, which will give us the “mothership” top-navigation links as seen on planet.ubuntu.com and wiki.ubuntu.com

Started work on integrating Summit with Django testing framework.

Bug #643012: Register Interest should only show currently available tracks

Currently when you register your interest in a track, the form shows tracks for previous summits.  This will restrict it to just the tracks for the summit you’re registering for.

Bug #668532: /today page to display current day’s schedule

A new, permanent URL which will show the current day’s schedule, so you can bookmark it once and re-use it for each day of the summit, and even future summits!

Bug #745378: Empty sub-nav exists on sponsorship page

Removes the gray sub-navigation bar from pages where there aren’t any linkes in it.

Bug #462793: Add slots for videographers

Up to two videographers can not be assigned to a UDS session and their names will appear on the schedule.

Bug #747296: Add plenary flag to iCal feed for conventionist.com

We have been working with the makers of Conventionist, a convention management application, which will allow you to track your session schedule on your Android or iPhone, even getting directions to the correct room.  This fix was necessary for them to distinguish plenary sessions from regular ones.

Bug #747301: Add daily Crew list

Allows Summit to schedule which UDS attendees are willing to act as event crew, with the current day’s crew assignments listed on the daily schedule which is displayed on the large monitors during the event.

Bug #747303: Auto-add slots to schedule

This solved an administrative headache for those organizing the summit.  For past events, every available time slot had to be entered manually, which was a very time consuming task.  This provides them a quick way to pre-populate the time slots, with the ability to fine-tune just the ones that need it.

Bug #747419: Fix login redirect

Several features of Summit require that you log in using your SSO/Launchpad account.  However, after login you are currently redirected back to the main Summit page instead of the page you left.  This sends your current page URL as the path to redirect to after a successful login, so you no longer have to go find that page again.

 

Read more