Ubuntu was once described to me by a wise(ish ;) ) man as a train that was leaving whether you’re on it or not. That’s the beauty of a 6 month release cycle. As many of you will already know, each release we include photos and illustrations produced by community members. We ask that you submit your images using free photo sharing site Flickr and that you limit your images this time to 2. The group won’t let you submit more than that but if you change your mind after you’ve submitted, fear not, simply remove one and it’ll let you add another.
As with previous submissions processes we’ve run, and in conjunction with the designers at Canonical we’ve come up with the following tips for creating wallpaper images.
- Images shouldn’t be too busy and filled with too many shapes and colours, a similar tone throughout is a good rule of thumb.
- A single point of focus, a single area that draws the eye into the image, can also help you avoid something too cluttered.
- The left and top edges are home to Ubuntu’s Launcher and Panel so be careful to consider how your images look in place so as not to clash with the user interface. Try them out on your own desktop, see how they feel.
- Try your image at different aspect ratios to make sure something important isn’t cropped out on smaller/ larger screens at different resolutions.
- Take a look at the wallpapers guidance on the Ubuntu Wiki regarding the size of images. Our target resolution is 2560 x 1600.
- Break all the rules except the resolution one! :D
To shortlist from this collection we’ll be going to the contributors whose images were selected last time around to act as our selection judges. In doing this we’ll hold a series of public IRC meetings on Freenode in #1410wallpaper to discuss the selection. In those sessions we’ll get the selection team to try out the images on their own Ubuntu machines to see what they look like on a range of displays and resolutions.
Anyone is welcome to come to these sessions but please keep in mind that an outcome is needed from the time that people are volunteering and there’s usually a lot of images to get through so we’d appreciate it if there isn’t too much additional debate.
Based on the Utopic release schedule, I think our schedule for this cycle should look like this:
- 08/08/14 – Kick off 14.10 wallpaper submission process.
- 22/08/14 – First get together on #1410wallpaper at 19:30 GMT.
- 29/08/14 – Submissions deadline at 18:00 GMT – Flickr group will be locked and the selection process will begin.
- 09/09/14 – Deliver final selection in zip format to the appropriate bug on Launchpad.
- 11/09/14 – UI freeze for latest version of Ubuntu with our fantastic images in it!
As always, ping me if you have any questions, I’ll be lurking in #1410wallpaper on freenode or leave a question in the Flickr group for wider discussion, that’s probably the fastest way to get an answer to a question.
I’ll be posting updates on our schedule here from time to time but the Flickr group will serve as our hub.
Happy snapping and scribbling and on behalf of the community, thanks for contributing to Ubuntu!