Canonical Voices

Posts tagged with 'uds'

pitti

12.04: Testing FTW

I arrived back home in Augsburg, from last week’s Ubuntu Developer Summit in Orlando, FL. As this is a quality/LTS cycle, we pretty much already knew in advance what to do (bug fixing, bug fixing, some boot speed, and did I mention bug fixing?), but still we had many highly interesting and exciting sessions this time, not so much about what we are going to do, but how we are going to build 12.04.

So far our common practice has been to toss everything new into the development release until Feature Freeze and then try and clean up most of the fallout. Me and many other developers have always cried for having more time for fixing long-standing bugs and not introducing breakage in the first place. It seems that now with 12.04, Ubuntu/Canonical are actually getting serious about it.

(Any resemblance to that postcard from the Kennedy Space Center which I went to last Sunday is of course absolutely unintended and purely coincidental :-) ).

The mission statement is now to have working ISOs, stable ? development, and daily intra-development upgrades every day, quick and regular cleanup of uninstallable packages, component-mismatches, NBS etc., backed by a new “stable +1″ team backed by three people on a rotational shift.

QA team is now setting up daily automatic smoketesting of the installer and other packages which have tests. For the latter we’ll convert some packages to the DEP-8, the proposed format for running autopkgtest on (I’ll do udisks, postgresql-common, pygobject, apport, and jockey soon).

We’ll try do put uploads which might break something (like new libraries) to a staging area first, against which we can run test suites of reverse dependencies before it lands in the new release. As doing this on a large scale still requires infrastructure to be created, we’ll only exercise it for a few packages by uploading to precise-proposed first, but this has a high potential for extension.

We want to commit to fixing major breakage within 3 hours of development time, or otherwise revert the faulty package to the previous version (unless that aggravates problems, such as file conflicts).

Finally, for Canonical upstreams we are introducing “acceptance criteria”, which will hopefully significantly raise the quality and lower the regressions of each Unity etc. release.

So, the mission is clear. In practice we’ll probably have to make some real-life concessions, and Murphy’s law dictates that there still will be some breakage, but we can learn from that as we go.

Let’s build 12.04 LTS!

Read more
Michael Hall

It’s late, I’m tired, so this is going to be brief.  But if I didn’t put something up now, chances are I’d procrastinate to the point where it didn’t matter anymore, so something is better than nothing.

JuJu

So the buzz all week was about Juju and Charms.  It’s a very cool technology that I think is really going to highlight the potential of cloud computing.  Until now I always had people comparing the cloud to virtual machines, telling me they already automate deploying VMs, but with Juju you don’t think about machines anymore, virtual of otherwise.  It’s all about services, which is really what you want, a service that is doing something for you.  You don’t need to care where, or on what, or in combination with some other thing, Juju handles all that automatically.  It’s really neat, and I’m looking forward to using it more.

Summit

Summit worked this week.  In fact, this is the first time in my memory where there wasn’t a problem with the code during UDS.  And that’s not because we left it alone either.  IS actually moved the entire site to a new server the day before UDS started.  We landed several fixes during the week to fix minor inconveniences experienced by IS or the admins.  And that’s not even taking into consideration all the last-minute features that were added by our Linaro developers the week prior.  But through it all, Summit kept working.  That, more than anything else, is testament to the work the Summit developers put in over the last cycle to improve the code quality and development processes, and I am very, very proud that.  But we’re not taking a break this cycle.  In fact, we had two separate sessions this week about ways to improve the user experience, and will be joined by some professional designers to help us towards that goal.

Ubuntu One eBook syncing

So what started off as an casual question to Stuart Langridge turned into a full blown session about how to sync ebook data using Ubuntu One.  We brainstormed several options of what we can sync, including reading position, bookmarks, highlights and notes, as well as ways to sync them in an application agnostic manner.  I missed the session on the upcoming Ubuntu One Database (U1DB), but we settled on that being the ideal way of handling this project, and that this project was an ideal test case for the U1DB.  For reasons I still can’t explain, I volunteered to develop this functionality, at some point during the next cycle.  It’s certainly going to be a learning experience.

Friends

Friends!  It sure was good to catch up with all of you.  Both friends from far-away lands, and those closer to home.  Even though we chat on IRC almost constantly, there’s still nothing quite like being face to face.  I greatly enjoyed working in the same room with the Canonical ISD team, which has some of the smartest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with.  It was also wonderful to catch up with all my friends from the community.  I don’t know of any other product or project that brings people together the way Ubuntu does, and I’m amazed and overjoyed that I get to be a part of it.

Read more
pitti

Just took the plunge, using the excellent bandwidth and local mirror at UDS:

$ lsb_release -irc
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Nothing blew up in my face, so it seems today is a good day to die^Wupgrade.

Read more
Michael Hall

If you’ve been doing anything with Ubuntu lately, chances are you’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about Juju.  If you’re attending UDS, then there’s also a good chance that you’ve been to one or more sessions about Juju.  But do you know it?

The building blocks for Juju are it’s “charms”, which detail exactly how to deploy and configure services in the Cloud.  Writing charms is how you harness the awesome power of Juju.  Tomorrow (Friday) there will be a 2 hour session all about writing charms, everything from what they do and how they work, to helping you get started writing your own.  Questions will be answers, minds will be inspired, things will be made, so don’t miss out.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-p/meeting/19875/juju-charm-school/

(Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/slightlynorth/3977607387/)

Read more
Michael Hall

Are you both an Ubuntu user and a bibliophile?  Want to keep your ebooks synced between all your connected devices, including bookmarks and reading position?   If so, join us for this UDS session Thursday, Nov 3rd, where we’ll be talking about how to add that functionality to Ubuntu One.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-p/meeting/19820/other-p-u1-book-sync/

Read more
pitti

7 years ago, The Ubuntu 4.10 “The Warty Warthog” was announced. A huge congrats to the community, Canonical, and especially Mark for getting so far from “there” to “here”.

This brings back old memories of my first conference in Oxford in August, the great-great-grandfather to what is UDS these days. Back then, there was no company, no Launchpad, no Blueprints, no work items, no detailled plans, just a bunch of ideas, BoFs, and this was a third of the entire crowd:

Warty Hack Room

Back then we worked on the famous TRLS technology (“Totally Rad Laptop Support”) and were proud when we got the ThinkPads to suspend once. During that conference I wrote pmount to provide automatic mounting of USB sticks in a safe manner. Those were the days… :-)

But I can also safely say that there are some things that haven’t changed. Even though both the community and the company (which changed away from www.no-name-yet.com recently) grew by two magnitudes since then, we still have the same serious attitude, stern look, and formal attire as we had back then:

We are professionals, really!

We are professionals, really!

Read more

The guidebook mobile schedule for UDS-P is now ready, install it here:

And just search for UDS in the application. Then you’ll have the UDS schedule, events, sponsorship information, and maps in your pocket:

The schedule updates every 10 minutes, and there’s a convenient QR code on each schedule page so at UDS itself you’ll be able to just take a shot of one of the scheduling monitors, or from the QR codes we’ll have plastered around the venue.

Read more
Michael Hall

We’re less than a month away from the start of UDS-P, which means we’re winding down the development pace on the Summit project. It’s been a very, very busy 6 months for us, we’ve done more work on Summit this cycle than I think it has ever seen before.  As I mentioned in previous posts, our main focus this cycle has been on stabilizing both the code, and the development process, and I think we’ve done an excellent job of meeting those goals.

During this cycle we have developed an easy to reproduce development environment that allows new contributors to get started hacking on Summit much faster than the could previously.  At the same time we’ve implemented stricter code reviews, requiring accompanying test cases in most instances, and have configured Tarmac to help us keep approved branches landing without delay.  We have also handed the task of maintaining our production environment and production deployments to Canonical’s IS team so that Summit will be managed by the same professional team as any other Ubuntu website.  We have also added 3 new contributors during this cycle, and hope to add more even more in the next.

From the end of UDS-O to the time of this writing, the Summit developers have closed 37 bugs, landed 89 merge proposals, and added 118 test cases (which is 118 more than we had before).  I can’t even begin to say how proud I am of the team of developers that have contributed to this project, and the amazing results that we have achieved in so short a time.  It is even more incredible because this is truly a community project, we all contribute to it in our spare time.  So thank you to everybody who has contributed to the success of the Summit project this cycle.

Below is the full list of bugs, branch merges and test cases from this cycle.

Bugs

.Bugs TD { spacing: 0px; padding: 2px; border: #000000 1px solid; border-collapse: collapse; } .Bugs .Critical { background-color: #FFDDDD; } .Bugs .High { background-color: #FFFFDD; } .Bugs .Medium { background-color: #DDFFDD; } .Bugs .Low { background-color: #EEEEEE; } .Bugs .Wishlist { background-color: #DDDDFF; }
Bug # Title Priority
855826 session slugs containing + have broken etherpad links Critical
854709 URL encoding Launchpad links breaks them Critical
849078 Stop displaying the track name in the room name when there is a single track Medium
781693 Rooms: Add boolean for if a room has dial-in Medium
793018 Pull the summary from the launchpad blueprint and push it out via the iCal to Guidebook High
779833 Automatically clear cache when the data it contains changes Critical
853991 Plus sign in meeting name breaks url lookup Critical
815196 meeting import failed for lp update High
777171 Percent signs in the wiki field break summit Critical
766392 Pull Real Names from LP for use as “crew” Wishlist
765031 Support for private rooms and private meetings in those rooms Wishlist
793019 Make the colors for the track a database field instead of in the css High
647131 Don’t depend on a room being declared “plenary” Critical
849331 Needs to send no-cache headers when requesting +temp-meeting-export High
780342 Logging in next= is broken again Medium
835955 Sanitize input! Undecided
779884 autoscheduler should never schedule sessions at times in the past Critical
831311 Internal error when trying to delete a duplicate sponsoree High
814375 meeting link breaks on non-unique or missing meeting name Critical
813531 logo should point to http://uds.ubuntu.com/ High
829529 Summit barfs if lp id doesn’t exist and you submit it for sponsorship. High
793021 Add a today link to the topnav Medium
798826 Name fields throw confusing error Low
781137 Need more space between QR code and Day/Room name Low
781117 Change /today to be /xx/today Low
780969 Enable 404 page instead of showing a debug Low
779769 Remove ‘Attendees’ from meeting page if it is a plenary Low
783291 Brainstorm should be removed from summit Medium
668542 Don’t reschedule events/days that have already happened Critical
790675 Stop screen scraping launchpad for information. Use the API instead. High
782062 When importing from Launchpad, the blueprint name should be cleaned before being used High
665589 Importing blueprints unreliable High
798822 initslots doesn’t give feedback when done Low
793020 Match uds.ubuntu.com and summit.ubuntu.com main-nav Medium
783030 Change room.name to room.title on the next sessions page Low
783029 Add link to meeting page in iCal Wishlist
664879 “previous day” and “next day” links on schedule would be nice Low

 

Branch Merges

193: Michael Hall 2011-10-02 [merge] [r=james-w] Optimizations to reduce the number of database queries on the summit and schedule pages.
192: James Westby 2011-09-22 [merge] [r=mhall119] Apply the same transform as etherpad to meeting names when generating pad urls.
191: Michael Hall 2011-09-22 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow linaro tracks to be scheduled in adjacent slots in the same room.
190: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Don’t escape URLs before putting them in the HTML.
189: Michael Hall 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=james-w] Change user_private_ical to use Schedule.from_request, add test case for private ical.
188: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow + in track, room and attendee names without causing url lookup errors.
187: James Westby 2011-09-21 [merge] [r=mhall119] Fix the 500 error pages to not crash when displayed.
186: Michael Hall 2011-09-19 [merge] [r=james-w] Exclude attendee secret key from the API
185: James Westby 2011-09-19 [merge] [r=mhall119] Allow “+” in a meeting name without crashing on the url lookup.
184: James Westby 2011-09-17 [merge] Make it a single query, rather than doing a few queries per meeting.
183: Michael Hall 2011-09-18 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Fixes problem with old cache on track view schedule
182: James Westby 2011-09-18 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add some tests for constructing a Schedule object.
181: Nigel Babu 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Initial run at pep8 and pyflakes complaints fixing.
180: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds read-only REST/JSON API to the schedule data
179: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds the ability to download or subscribe to an ical containing your public *and* private meetings
178: Michael Hall 2011-09-17 [merge] [r=james-w,nigelbabu] Fix tests that were looking for a hard-coded SITE_ROOT in urls
177: Jamal Fanaian 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Updating the description of a meeting from the LP blueprint.
176: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] The autoscheduler will now reliably not require someone to be in two places at once.
175: Michael Hall 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] In unit tests, specify that all Meeting instances are requires_dial_in=False unless explicitly testing that functionality.
174: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add fields on rooms and meetings for dial-in.
173: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Remove the code to display the track in the room title if there is only one.
172: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Add tests for the reschedule command, and make it do something again.
171: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Fix a javascript error when a meeting has no participants.
170: James Westby 2011-09-16 [merge] [r=mhall119] Revert r50 which was a band-aid to fix a bug that can no longer be reproduced.
169: James Westby 2011-09-15 [merge] Fix percent sign escaping in render.py
168: James Westby 2011-09-15 [merge] Add support for using multiple Launchpad sprints to populate a single Summit, which will allow separate UDS and Linaro Connect sprints
167: Michael Hall 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=james-w] Adds test cases to make sure % signs are being properly escaped in render.py
166: James Westby 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=mhall119] Update the location of the linaro theme branch.
165: James Westby 2011-09-13 [merge] Add headers to avoid caches on the +temp-meeting-export fetch.
164: Michael Hall 2011-09-14 [merge] [r=james-w] Fix to allow periods in records names
163: James Westby 2011-09-13 [merge] Stops the auto-scheduler from acting on private meetings.
162: Chris Johnston 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=james-w] Updates linaro link to match uds.u.c
161: Michael Hall 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Fixes 2 typos in the get_edit_link_to_pad method
160: Michael Hall 2011-09-13 [merge] [r=james-w] Fix for the PrivateSchedulingTestCase
159: Michael Hall 2011-09-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Adds a new TestCase for building tests of the schedule conflict resolution.
158: Michael Hall 2011-09-11 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston] Adds a new ‘color’ field to the Track record, this contains a 6-char hex color code that will be used as the background for meeting blocks on the schedule.
157: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston] Check that at least one plenary room exists before trying to use 156: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 Add back in what was lost on rebase
155: Michael Hall 2011-09-02 Add back in what was lost on rebase
154: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds ability for schedulers to schedule private rooms.
153: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds private rooms to edit page
152: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds display of private rooms on UDS page for staff
151: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 Adds def private_rooms
150: Jamal Fanaian 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=mhall119] Created a method to get an attendee’s full name. Showing crew
149: Chris Johnston 2011-09-02 [merge] [r=mhall119] Removes stray }
148: Michael Hall 2011-08-27 [merge] More XSS fixes
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-27 [merge] Fix XSS vulnerability
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-22 [merge] Check with launchpad to see if an entered username is valid on sponsorship suggestion form
147: Michael Hall 2011-08-22 [merge] Fix errors when converting sponsorship scores to unicode strings
146: Chris Johnston 2011-08-22 [merge] [r=nigelbabu,mhall119] Updates the version of light-django-theme and fixes bzr apps after an update.
145: Chris Johnston 2011-08-22 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Moves admin link to masthead due to wrapping in main-nav
144: Chris Johnston 2011-08-19 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Changes Linaro link to match uds.u.c
143: Chris Johnston 2011-08-14 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] This will set debug to true when running locally.
142: Chris Johnston 2011-08-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Switches summit to using bzr_apps by running init-summit.
141: Chris Johnston 2011-08-12 [merge] [r=nigelbabu] Adds a link to the page for editing an etherpad
140: Chris Johnston 2011-08-01 [merge] Adds today link to main-nav
140: Michael Hall 2011-07-22 [merge] Adds the meeting id to the meeting_page_url, and uses only that as the lookup parameter
parameter
139: Nigel Babu 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=mhall119] Reset the theme of the documentation to default.
138: Chris Johnston 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][] Remove translation tags, summit is not translated.
137: Nigel Babu 2011-07-30 [merge] [r=][] Create a docs so that it shows up in rtfd.org
136: Chris Johnston 2011-07-25 [merge] [r=mhall119][] Removes old migrations and adds new initial migration
137: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 [merge] Adds 960px style to all pages except the wide schedule
134: Chris Johnston 2011-07-20 [merge] Fixes lpupdate. Props mhall119
134: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 Make sure we don’t have periods in meeting names when trying to form the meeting page url
133: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 [merge] point logo link to http://uds.ubuntu.com
133: Michael Hall 2011-07-20 If meeting has no name, we can’t form a proper URL for it, fallback to returning no URL
132: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][] Adds update-openids script to summit to fix usernames.
131: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][765031] Adds private room as an option for a room status.
130: Chris Johnston 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][793020] Modifies links to match uds.ubuntu.com
129: Michael Hall 2011-07-19 [merge] [r=mhall119][781117] Changes /today url to /summit_name/today
128: Chris Johnston 2011-07-18 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston][] Fixes a minor spelling issue in fields.py
127: Chris Johnston 2011-07-18 [merge] [r=][] Updates required version of south
126: Chris Johnston 2011-07-11 [merge] [r=][] Fixes minor spelling error
125: Chris Johnston 2011-06-26 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][chrisjohnston][798822] Adds a print statement to provide feedback
124: Chris Johnston 2011-06-17 [merge] [r=mhall119][chrisjohnston][798826] Displays information in the name field error message more clearly.
123: Maris Fogels 2011-06-17 [merge] [r=nigelbabu][mars][] Added a tests.py module and an in-memory sqlite database for running the test suite.
122: Nigel Babu 2011-06-12 [merge] [r=james-w][nigelbabu][782062] Remove the ‘.’ from the name of the meeting and replace it with ‘-’
121: Nigel Babu 2011-06-10 [merge] [r=james-w][nigelbabu][790675] Stop the screen scape and use the json API instead.
120: Nigel Babu 2011-06-11 [merge] [r=chrisjohnston,james-w][nigelbabu][783291] Removed the brainstorm code out of
119: Penelope Stowe 2011-06-11 [merge] [r=james-w,nigelbabu][Penelope Stowe] try-catching the launchpad requests with 5
118: Nigel Babu 2011-06-09 [merge] Removes Attendees list from the meeting page if the session is a plenary. Props Nigel Babu
117: Nigel Babu 2011-06-09 [merge] Adds spacing around the QR code to avoid overlap. Props Nigel Babu
116: Nigel Babu 2011-05-22 [merge] Fix authschedule to not modify anything in the past
115: Chris Johnston 2011-05-22 [merge] Add prev/next day links to schedule view
114: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 [merge] Add full path to meeting page in the ical feed
113: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 Fix errors in template, add settings option to have django serve media files even when DEBUG=False
112: Chris Johnston 2011-05-22 [merge] Disable debug mode and give better error messages
111: Nigel Babu 2011-05-22 [merge] Fixes to reschedule command
110: Michael Hall 2011-05-22 [merge] Updated setup.py and requirements.txt to match current production environment

 

Tests

test_sponsorship_display
test_nonlaunchpad_display
test_suggest_valid_username
test_suggest_invalid_username
test_sponsorship_review_display
test_sponsorship_about_paras_filtering
test_sponsorship_about_urlize_filtering
test_sponsorship_xss_escaping
test_sponsorshipsuggestion_review_display
test_sponsorshipsuggestion_xss_escaping
test_passing_nonexistant_summit_raises_error
test_meetings_can_not_be_scheduled_in_closed_slots
test_participants_are_in_another_meeting
test_check_schedule_errors_on_no_dial_in
test_check_schedule_errors_on_same_track_in_previous_slot
test_check_schedule_errors_on_same_track_in_next_slot
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_different_track
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_same_track_for_plenaries
test_check_schedule_no_error_on_same_track_for_ajdacent_sessions_allowed
test_try_schedule_into_refuses_room_without_dial_in
test_try_schedule_into_allows_room_with_dial_in
test_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_set
test_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_unset
test_link_to_pad_with_plus_in_meeting_name
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_set
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_pad_url_unset
test_edit_link_to_pad_with_plus_in_meeting_name
test_ical_meeting_without_name
test_ical_meeting_name_with_period
test_private_ical
test_meeting_page_url
test_meeting_name_with_period
test_room_name_with_period
test_track_name_with_period
test_participant_name_with_period
test_meeting_name_with_percent
test_meeting_name_with_plus_sign
test_room_name_with_percent
test_room_name_with_plus_sign
test_track_name_with_percent
test_track_name_with_plus_sign
test_participant_name_with_percent
test_participant_name_with_plus_sign
test_etherpad_edit_url
test_meeting_check_schedule_no_conflict
test_meeting_check_room_conflict
test_meeting_check_schedule_participant_conflict
test_private_meeting_schedule
test_no_available_public_room
test_no_available_private_room
test_required_participant_in_private_meeting
test_percent_in_meeting_name
test_percent_in_meeting_title
test_percent_in_meeting_description
test_percent_in_spec_url
test_percent_in_wiki_url
test_percent_in_room_title
test_percent_in_meeting_track_title
test_percent_in_meeting_track_slug
test_percent_in_attendee_username
test_cache_cleared_on_meeting_change
test_cache_cleared_on_agenda_change
test_track_cache_cleared_on_meeting_change
test_track_cache_cleared_on_agenda_change
test_default_read_only
test_editable
test_read_only_for_public_summit
test_read_only_for_non_edit_request
test_read_only_for_unauthenticated_user
test_read_only_for_user_without_permission
test_default_not_personal
test_personal_if_specified_in_get
test_date_set_from_date
test_date_parsed_from_string
test_dates_set_from_summit_if_not_passed
test_room_set_from_room
test_room_set_from_summit_if_not_passed
test_rooms_include_private_if_user_is_staff
test_rooms_include_private_if_show_private
test_track_is_none_by_default
test_track_set_from_track
test_nextonly_false_by_default
test_nextonly_set_from_get_parameters
test_fakenow_none_by_default
test_fakenow_set_from_get_parameters
test_fakenow_set_to_none_if_invalid
test_calculate_unscheduled_does_nothing_when_read_only
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_unscheduled
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_scheduled_meetings
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_meetings_in_tracks_not_in_this_room
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_without_a_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_all_meetings_in_room_without_a_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_of_the_right_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_includes_meetings_with_one_right_track
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_plenaries_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_talks_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_specials_in_the_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_shows_plenaries_in_the_plenary_room_view
test_calculate_unscheduled_ignores_non_plenaries_in_the_plenary_room_view
test_update_meeting_skips_no_name
test_update_meeting_trims_name
test_update_meeting_accepts_existing_meeting
test_update_from_launchpad_response_empty
test_update_from_launchpad_response_handles_no_name
test_launchpad_sprint_import_urls_uses_default
test_launchpad_sprint_import_url_uses_one_summit_sprint
test_launchpad_sprint_import_url_uses_two_summit_sprint
test_update_from_launchpad_gets_info_for_all_import_urls
test_update_from_launchpad_does_the_update
test_update_from_launchpad_deletes_unseen_meetings
test_update_from_launchpad_doesnt_delete_meetings_with_no_spec_url
test_update_from_launchpad_updates_last_update
test_reschedule_does_nothing_on_empty_schedule
test_reschedule_removes_missing_participants
test_reschedule_removes_unavailable_participants
test_reschedule_removes_insufficient_slots
test_reschedule_leaves_old_slots
test_reschedule_leaves_manually_scheduled

Read more
Michael Hall

Summit is the code that runs the session scheduler for the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) and, as of last cycle, the Linaro Summit as well.  Summit has had a rather troubled past, being passed from one maintainer to another, evolving organically as it went.  But during UDS-N, it started gaining a team of community contributors, specifically Chris Johnston and I.  This expanded further for UDS-O, when Nigel Babu took the helm as the project manager.  We were also joined by Linaro developers who wanted to make Summit support two simultaneous events, using the same schedule, the same rooms and the same attendees.

Many changes were made in the run-up to UDS-O, and by “run-up” I mean all the way up to the first day of sessions.  Unfortunately, nowhere along Summit’s organic growth did it gain the proper test suite and deployment processes that are a necessity for a project of this size.  In fact, one of the bugs that was discovered during UDS-O was a script running on the server that wasn’t even part of Summit’s revision control tree!

Well this part of Summit’s history is coming to an end.  After UDS-O, the community developers started to plan out how to stabilize Summit, both it’s code base by adding testing, and also the deployment process by strictly managing how new code gets into production.

 

Bug Fixes

The bug fixing started early this cycle.  Nigel was submitting merge proposals by the end of the week of UDS-O, and Chris and I were pair-programming on the flight from JFK back to Orlando.  So far there have been 30 branch merges into the summit tree and fixes for 20 bug reports.  Nigel gives the full list over at his blog.

 

Setup and Development

Summit can now be easily setup for development using Virtualenv, which makes getting started with development significantly easier.  LoCo Directory recently gained a script that fully automated the setup of a development environment, and this will soon be coming to the Summit code.  At the time I’m writing this post, Jorge Castro has even begun work on an Ensemble formula, that will make deploying a fully configured instance of Summit on Amazon’s EC2 platform a matter of a few simple commands.

Making development setup easier lowers the barrier to new contributors, and we hope this will encourage more community members to get involved in such a fun and important project.  Making sure we’re all using the same development environment, and having it easily replicated for others to develop and test, will help improve the accessibility and stability of our code.

 

Testing

During UDS-O we got some help setting up and writing the very first testing code for Summit.  From now on, writing test cases for new features or bug fixes will become a normal part of our development process.  We recently held an online classroom session about how to write test code for Summit (and LoCo Directory too).  There is still a lot of Summit code that needs tests written for it, but we’re going to cover as much of that as we can while continuing to move forward with development.  More than any other change this cycle, I’m excited about the huge improvements to stability that we can gain through aggressively testing our code.

 

Branch based deployments

Summit has always used branch-based deployments, that is our production server has a copy of our bzr tree that it runs from, instead of a package that gets installed.  Unfortunately, up until last week the only branch we really had was trunk, which made it harder to properly track emergency fixes when we already had revisions committed to trunk that weren’t ready to be deployed.  To fix this we’ve split off a production branch, which is the only branch we will deploy from, and will always have a copy of the exact code that is running in production.

We will also, for the short term, have two branches for development.  The 1.x branch is our “stable” tree, that’s where we will make any changes that will be ready to deploy in the coming days or weeks.  This means that we can use our trunk branch for long-term development, where we can perform some much-needed refactoring and code cleanup, without worrying about blocking deployments while these changes settle into place.  There are some major and necessary changes coming to parts of the Summit code, and this development setup will let us start landing those quickly so that we can test them and build off them, without destabilizing the currently used code tree or blocking minor fixes from being deployed.

 

Ubuntu Website integration

If you visit the Summit website today, you’ll already see some of our recent changes.  To better integrate with the WordPress instance running uds.ubuntu.com, we have changed our main navigation and 960px width to match. Once the WordPress theme updates are rolled out, both sites will have the new community top navigation bar too.  No longer will it feel like you’re being thrown from one site to another without a means of getting back.  This should lead to a less confusing user experience for both sites, and much happier UDS attendees all around.

 

Read more

Sean Sosik-Hamor, our group photographer and IS sysadmin, has published the official UDS-O group photos on his blog, along with the details on the setup and equipment. Enjoy!

Read more
David

Ubuntu Translations TVSo, new Ubuntu cycle and time for a fresh translations videocast!

Join me tomorrow at the Ustream Ubuntu Translations channel, where I’ll give you a summary about the great sessions we had around translations last week at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Budapest, where we discussed the plans for the next cycle: the Oneiric Ocelot. As usual, feel free to come along, ask your questions and have a chat around translating Ubuntu.

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Note that if you wish to participate in the online chat, you’ll need to sign up for a ustream account (it doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes), but I’ll also be answering your questions on the #ubuntu-translators IRC channel on Freenode.

Ubuntu Translations Videocast


Read more
Corey Goldberg

I just got back from UDS-O (Ubuntu Developer Summit, Oneiric Ocelot) in Budapest, Hungary. It was my first UDS, and my first time in Eastern Europe.

I was really worried that the time-change and jet-lag going to eastern Europe would mess me up. However, I felt really good the entire trip and adjusted almost instantly. My mood was good and I was ready to hack.

Some quick comments about the summit:

  • Budapest was fun and interesting, with beautiful weather and historic architecture.
  • The Ubuntu summit is a very well run event, where important decisions are made and work gets done.
  • Our Community rocks!
  • Ubuntu rocks!

I was able to attend a few UDS sessions throughout the week, but my main mission was an on-site sprint with my team at Canonical (ISD). Our team is globally-distributed, and this was my first chance to meet and work with all of them in person. While the entire summit was awesome, my most lasting memories will be of sitting crammed in a hot hotel room with a dozen of the finest hackers/colleagues I have ever worked with. As a new member to ISD, they made me feel welcomed and let me jump right in.

Can't wait until next UDS!

Read more
roaksoax

After the success of the improvements of PowerNap in Ubuntu Natty 11.04, we will be having another session st UDS-O Thursday the 12th at 15:00. In this session we will discuss the following:

  • Second Stage action when running in PowerSave mode.
  • Support for port-ranges in Network Monitors
  • Changing the polling monitoring system to an event based system.
  • Client/Server approach to monitor/manage PowerNap “client machines” over the network for data center wide deployments
  • Server ARP network Monitoring for Automatic Wake-up of Clients.
  • API like approach for Integration with other projects.

Everyone who’s interested are more than welcome to join! For more information, the blueprint can be found HERE.

Read more
Michael Hall

This past weekend was Ubuntu Global Jam, where Ubuntu users and contributors all over the world get together to work on improving the project.  Jams come in many forms, code hacking, bug triaging, translating, documenting, or even just promoting Ubuntu in their community.  In my own corner of the Ubuntu community, a few of us got to together to work on improving the Summit project

This is the code behind http://summit.ubuntu.com, which provides the UDS scheduler and sponsorship application forms.  Summit is a Django application, released under the AGPLv3 license, and is primarily developed by community members.  Joining me were Chris Johnston,  a frequent community contributor who I’ve also worked with in LoCo Directory and other projects, and Elliot Murphy, my 3rd-level boss as Canonical (no pressure there!).

Here’s a list of what we managed to accomplish:

Switch to the new ubuntu-community-webthemes, which will give us the “mothership” top-navigation links as seen on planet.ubuntu.com and wiki.ubuntu.com

Started work on integrating Summit with Django testing framework.

Bug #643012: Register Interest should only show currently available tracks

Currently when you register your interest in a track, the form shows tracks for previous summits.  This will restrict it to just the tracks for the summit you’re registering for.

Bug #668532: /today page to display current day’s schedule

A new, permanent URL which will show the current day’s schedule, so you can bookmark it once and re-use it for each day of the summit, and even future summits!

Bug #745378: Empty sub-nav exists on sponsorship page

Removes the gray sub-navigation bar from pages where there aren’t any linkes in it.

Bug #462793: Add slots for videographers

Up to two videographers can not be assigned to a UDS session and their names will appear on the schedule.

Bug #747296: Add plenary flag to iCal feed for conventionist.com

We have been working with the makers of Conventionist, a convention management application, which will allow you to track your session schedule on your Android or iPhone, even getting directions to the correct room.  This fix was necessary for them to distinguish plenary sessions from regular ones.

Bug #747301: Add daily Crew list

Allows Summit to schedule which UDS attendees are willing to act as event crew, with the current day’s crew assignments listed on the daily schedule which is displayed on the large monitors during the event.

Bug #747303: Auto-add slots to schedule

This solved an administrative headache for those organizing the summit.  For past events, every available time slot had to be entered manually, which was a very time consuming task.  This provides them a quick way to pre-populate the time slots, with the ability to fine-tune just the ones that need it.

Bug #747419: Fix login redirect

Several features of Summit require that you log in using your SSO/Launchpad account.  However, after login you are currently redirected back to the main Summit page instead of the page you left.  This sends your current page URL as the path to redirect to after a successful login, so you no longer have to go find that page again.

 

Read more

Along with the last set, here are more videos from UDS that might be interesting to upstream projects:

Read more

The last set of videos from UDS have been posted! This includes my favorite part of UDS, the Lightning Talks. Remember we kick people off after five minutes so they’re kind of high stress. Apparently my crutch word is “ummm”. Aurelien did a Qt Creator demo, but also make sure you see Ryan Paul’s Qt demo, I talk about askubuntu.com with Robert Cartaino, Colin Watson does one on libpipeline. KDE daily builds, and what I call “The Rescue” by Dustin and the rest of the server team.

Along with the lightning talks we have: 

Unity Architecture - http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/file/4432282/

Firefox 4 for Natty - http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/file/4431119/

Improving the Sponsorship Queue - http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/file/4414615/

Unity 2D fallback - http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/file/4412246/

and a bunch more!

Read more

UDS Proceedings

Here’s a bunch of summaries from the UDS Proceedings. Sorry they’re not more organized.

UPDATE: As many of you have pointed out, these are raw and in some cases don’t even make sense since they’re pasted in from people furiously typing into gobby documents. They’ll be polished as the week progresses.

Read more
David

It’s less than a week before the Ubuntu Developer Summit kicks off in Orlando, Florida, from the 25th-29th Oct, and everyone is getting ready to plan all the sessions and put all of the pieces in place for what will be once more an amazing schedule for an exciting development cycle: Ubuntu 11.04, the Natty Narwhal.

As usual, we’re going to have a solid representation of Ubuntu Translations, and I’d like to take the opportunity to let you know bit more about the sessions we’ve got in store for this UDS.

Main Sessions

These will constitute the roadmap for next cycle, and were based on the great feedback from community members during the call for proposals for the Ubuntu 11.04 Translations Plans.

Everyone should feel welcome to participate in the discussions and collaborate in completing these goals.

Ubuntu Translations Portal

A web portal to unify all the available content on Ubuntu translations such as stories, announcements, language teams, documentation, etc. (read more…)

Language Pack Updates Schedule

A clear policy on language pack updates for stable releases, stating for which releases and when they will be published. (read more…)

Translations Stories

A coordinated effort to publish stories about the work of translation teams throughout the cycle. (read more…)

Introductory Video to Ubuntu Translations

Production of an introductory video on Ubuntu translations, which will ultimately appear on the Translations Portal. (read more…)

Translations Training Sessions

A set of translations training sessions to help new translators getting started using Launchpad Translations and contributing to Ubuntu. (read more…)

Additional Sessions

Translatable Ubuntu Code of Conduct and Leadership Code of Conduct

We want to provide the Code of Conduct (CoC) and the Leadership Code of Conduct (LCoC) in anyone’s own language, and we want to enable the community to translate it. (read more…)

Internationalization of Launchpad Answers

We’d like to have an open discussion about the scope of work and the steps involved in enabling internationalization and localization of the Launchpad Answers application’s web UI. (read more…)

Roundtables

Ubuntu Translations Community Roundtable

A roundtable to discuss anything related to the Ubuntu Translations community, and to Launchpad Translations as a tool. (read more…)

How to participate

Whether you can attend UDS presentially or remotely, if you see any translation session you’re interested in, you can participate or follow the progress by subscribing to the blueprint. And if you are at UDS, just join the session! Here’s how you can do it:
  • Go to the blueprint. Click on the session you’re interested in, either in this overview (using the read more.. links) or in the UDS schedule. This will take you to the blueprint in Launchpad.
  • Subscribe to it. Subscribe to the blueprint, optionally ticking the “Participation essential” checkbox.
  • Add feedback. If you like, add feedback to the blueprint’s whiteboard.
  • Join in! Remember that if you are participating remotely, there’s IRC projected in all rooms and sound is streamed, so you can interact with those in the session. Check out the remote participation documentation for detailed instructions on how to participate from home or anywhere else.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week!


Read more
Iain Farrell

We’ve been talking a lot about UDS but some of you out there might not know what it is. Duncan McGregor, one of my colleagues, has had this very conversation with a speaker who will be attending this UDS. He took some time to compose a blog post explaining what the summit is all about.

It’s well worth a read :)

Read more

Just a reminder that the sponsorship application deadline is 8th September if you haven’t already applied! For more information please see this page: http://uds.ubuntu.com/participate/sponsorship/

(There is a bug in the summit system that is telling people that the deadline is March 26, this is incorrect!)

Read more