Meeting Minutes

IRC Log of the meeting.

Meeting minutes.


20100914 Meeting Agenda

ARM Status

  • Marvel (mvl-dove)

    • Nothing new this week
  • Freescale (fsl-imx51)

    • ON GOING : B605042: Java segfault on Freescale iMX5.1 Babbage board with Lucid – will try to bisect Lucid 2.6.31 kernel
  • Texas Instruments (ti-omap)

    • ON GOING : B591941 Original patch was not complete – Adrian Hunter should release the final patch this week.
    • ON GOING : B608266 Fix submitted and accepted – still waiting for mobile team to test.
    • ON GOING : B633227 ES2.0 board is unstable when highmem is enabled – backported a patch from upstream to solve memtester issue
    • ON GOING : B628029 ES2.0 board does not boot with CONFIG_PM enabled
    • NEW : B622935 a patch has been written – author needs to send it upstream
    • PATCH : Lots of TI audio patches have now been applied – testing under way
    • PATCH : B563650 upstream patch was applied
    • PATCH : B477106 Lucid alpha-2 and earlier freeze upon suspend with sd card plugged in with some hardware
    • PATCH : B588243 upstream patch was applied
    • FIXED : B613855 omap3 beagle XM MMC card always comes up read-only
    • FIXED : B605488 scheduling while atomic: mmcqd/46/0x00000002
    • FIXED : B589624 omap flavour does not work on beagle XM board
    • FIXED : B605832 LG monitor behaving incorrectly when used in conjunction with the Panda board and HDMI
    • FIXED : B477106 Maverick alpha-2 and earlier freeze upon suspend with sd card plugged in with some hardware
    • FIXED : B592295 omapdss DISPC error: SYNC_LOST_DIGIT
    • FIXED : B628107 false alarm – first boot loaded unstable kernel

      (tgardner) lag, is yuor memtest solved with the cache line patch?
      (lag) It’s not mine, but I don’t believe that it is
      (tgardner) ok

Release Metrics:

Release Meeting Bugs (12 bugs, 9 Blueprints)

Release Milestoned Bugs (71 across all packages (down 8))

  • 1 linux kernel bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (down 1)
  • 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)

Release Targeted Bugs (195 across all packages (down 7))

  • 7 linux kernel bugs (down 5)
  • 1 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (down 1)
  • 1 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  • 3 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  • 1 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)

Milestoned Features

  • 13 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)

Bugs with Patches Attached:123 (up 6)

Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bug-handling

Nothing to report.

Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bios-test-automation

  • Changes this week to fwts:

    • Updated USB boot image tests to use the ncurses based dialog interface
    • natty branch:
      mtrr: test for SYSCFG[MtrrFixDramModEn], more intelligent mtrr testing
      klog + acpi tests: check for single MADT
      pci: check for _CRS PCI host bridge configuration
      acpidump: annotated dump of ERST, SLIT, SRAT, SBST, ECDT, CPEP, BERT,
      lib: hexdump
      bios: romdump (dump BIOS + option ROMs)
      framework: add –show-progress-dialog option for dialog tool

      Note, this agenda item is finished for the Maverick development cycle and will be removed from the meeting agenda.

Status: Maverick

We’ve uploaded a new Maverick kernel, 2.6.35-21.31. This was to resolve linux-libc-dev ti-omap4 version conflicts which prevented any armel uploads.

Kernel Freeze is this Thurs Sept 16th. After Kernel Freeze, we transition to our SRU policy. I plan to upload our final Maverick kernel Sept 17th. There is little to no room for uploading any kernels beyond the 17th as the archive will freeze in preparation for Mavrick’s 10.10 Release Candidate. Any patches which have any hope of landing the the 10.10 Maverick kernel need to be submitted and garnered the appropriate
Ack’s prior to the 16th.

We are again nearing being above the trend line for our overall burn down chart. We need to start closing out all remaining open work items.
JFo, sconklin, apw, tgardner, jjohansen, smb: It appears you have open work items. Please review if your work item(s) can be marked as DONE or POSTPONED, else get er done.

Security & bugfix kernels – Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others

   Upd./Sec.    Proposed    TiP    Verified   
Dapper: Kernel    2.6.15-55.87            
Hardy: Kernel    2.6.24-28.77    (pending)         
Jaunty: Kernel    2.6.28-19.64            
Karmic: Kernel    2.6.31-22.63    2.6.31-22.64    21    0/ 4   
= mvl-dove    2.6.31-214.30    2.6.31-214.31    21    0/ 4   
= fsl-imx51    2.6.31-112.28            
= ec2    2.6.31-307.17    2.6.31-307.18    21    0/ 4   
Lucid: Kernel    2.6.32-24.42    2.6.32-25.43    13    1/25 (+ 1)   
= LBM    2.6.32-24.17    2.6.32-25.22    13    0/ 4   
= mvl-dove    2.6.32-209.25    (pending)         
= fsl-imx51    2.6.31-608.19            
= ti-omap    2.6.33-502.10            
= ec2    2.6.32-308.15            
  • There are very little to no verifications coming in for the Karmic and Lucid
    proposed kernels. It looks like we need to start our own bug(them)-squad.
  • Accepting packages into proposed also faces some delays as pitti was on
    holiday and it feels like there is no real backup there.
  • Karmic-fsl-imx51 sounds like being dead to me. We should probably make an
    official announcement that we won’t do any security updates on it anymore
    and see whether anybody cries.

Incoming Bugs: Regressions

533 Maverick Bugs (up 85)

1036 Lucid Bugs (up 39)

Current regression stats (broken down by release):


  • 272 maverick bugs (up 47)
  • 170 lucid bugs (up 4: to be converted to regression-release)


  • 47 lucid bugs (down 2)
  • 7 karmic bugs (no change)
  • 4 jaunty bugs (no change)
  • 0 hardy bugs (no change)


  • 181 lucid bugs (up 4)
  • 37 karmic bugs (no change)
  • 18 jaunty bugs (no change)
  • 3 hardy bugs (no change)


  • 7 lucid bugs (no change)
  • 1 karmic bug (no change)
    We are in the stage now where we are getting almost 90 bugs a week for Maverick

    JFo is continuing to work on removing the “regression-potential” tag from various processes.

Incoming Bugs: Bug day report

Due to much of the kernel team being in Taipei next week, the next bug day will be postponed to the following week.

Triage Status

The Kernel Triage Summit was a success. I am thankful to all of you who were able to make yourselves available for the sessions. Thanks to sconklin, diwic, apw and ogasawara for holding the sessions. I’ll be blogging about the event and making the transcripts and survey available to those who were unable to attend.

sconklin    Thanks JFO, I thought we got good participation   
JFo    any input you’d like to make on the Summit?   
JFo    sconklin, I did too   
JFo    I was well pleased   
apw    just that we should touch those people who attended and showed interest again   
JFo    I agree   
apw    to follow up with them, and get their feedback individually   
JFo    I’ll be going though the transcript to see who was involved and get back with them   
ogasawara    and we should follow up that the info dispersed lands in a wiki page somewhere   
JFo    yes   
apw    there was some very good audio info in there we must not lose ..   
JFo    I think that is the most important bit here   
JFo    apw, definitely agree   

Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized

  • As we will be in Taipei next week, I’d like to see about doing the bug chat on Thursday or Friday.

kstailey    HPET + PAT = Oops (affects many systems) see   
kstailey    please help test, thanks   
ogasawara    kstailey: which release?   
kstailey    > Jaunty   
kstailey    in the past PAT was not enabled   
ogasawara    kstailey: I assume there is a patch to fix it? and if so is it upstream?   
tgardner    about a month   
smb    not very long   
kstailey    Karmic and Lucid   
kstailey    “>” as in “greater than   
kstailey    as in when PAT code was thrust upon the world   
apw    yeah finally twigged that about 2s too late, ignore me pls   
kstailey    go search on: ubunut nopat   
kstailey    to see the impact   
kstailey    er, ubuntu   
apw    if there is an upstream patch then could you send the patch on to kernel-team@ list, then it’ll get on the list for consideration   
kstailey    try   
kstailey    no warrantees